Mar 3, 2017

Sing with Understanding

That's what the Word says:
"For God is the King of all the earth: sing with understanding."––Psalm 47:7 (RV1960)
Sing with understanding. Literally, sing circumspectly, prudently. Know what you are singing, what the words and lines mean.


I'll go where You want me to go, dear Lord/ O'er mountain, o'er plain, o'er sea.../ I'll say what You want me to say, dear Lord,/ I'll be what You want me to be.
I will never forget that day. I was praying about a position a pastor wanted me to take, involving Spanish-language ministry. I was 30 years old...16 years of ministry behind me. And 14 years since the awesome realization that God had called me ––me–– to foreign missions. What a moment that was! Of course, at age 16 at the time of calling, there was some growing to do, some seasoning. Yet...I wasn't 16 any more...

That day, as I fasted and prayed about that position, I spoke the words of that old chorus. "I'll go where You want me to go..." and that's as far as I got...


It was as if a heavy Hand pushed me to the floor. It's time to go to the mission field.


I argued with God. "But Lord, You know I want to go, but I'm not equipped yet; I'm not married––" all to no avail; He would not let me up until I truly submitted my will to Him and said Yes––now. The next day, the process began, and I was on my way to fulfilling His calling. 17 months later, I was on location. When it's God's time, He opens the doors.


Be careful what you sing...understand it. Mean it. 


And do it. 





No comments:

Post a Comment