Mar 23, 2015

I See a Cloud

17 years. That's how long it has been since I've seen rain on that mountain outside my door.



Perhaps it rained at some point between 2004-2012, when I wasn't living here, but not that this missionary can recall.

Lima is the second-largest city in the world that is built on a desert. It doesn't rain here.

It may sprinkle for 5-10 minutes, but usually not enough to even get the ground wet - literally. A marine layer of wet fog in the winter is the only moisture most of the parched Peruvian coast gets; our total average yearly "precipitation" is somewhere around 3 mm. That's right...millimeters.

However, after several years, we're experiencing a slight "El NiƱo" weather phenomenon. And this morning, about an hour ago, I went outside...

And saw a cloud over the mountain.

Not a big deal in most places - but this kind of cloud is very rarely seen in Lima. I took the picture about a half-hour after I first noticed it, and the cloud had doubled in size.


Now – having just checked – it's even bigger, and is developing the dark underbelly that holds the hint of a promise of rain. Maybe it will dissipate; maybe it will grow. And maybe – just maybe – it will rain. If it happened once, it can happen again.

Churches and works, be they home- or foreign missions, are like that. The Lima area churches have been, as it were, in a desert for a while. Not a lot of spectacular things happening; instead, there's been a lot of rocks and dust.

But God is faithful, and when conditions are right, there will be rain, even in a desert. And I see a cloud, and it's growing.

Who knows?






(BTW - ...it dissipated. :)  )

2 comments:

  1. The prophet said, "I hear the sound of abundance of rain" before a single drop had fallen. Yet when it did fall, it fell not alone, but the rain satisfied the drought and quenched the parched earth. I sense a sound of abundance of rain heading for the nation of Peru in the days ahead. It's coming; I can feel it in the air like you can sense a heavy rain is about to let loose. In Jesus' name...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If two of you agree touching any thing on earth...in Jesus' Name!

    ReplyDelete