May 10, 2015

My Missionary Mom

She was only 27 when she first set foot on Peruvian soil. She was immediately and forever in love with the Peruvian people.



Ever since she had made her consecration to God at the age of thirteen, she had harbored a desire to marry a missionary. She loved medicine, but she turned down nursing school to go to Bible School in Tupelo, Mississippi. There, she met her missionary-to-be.

Not long after they married, they started a home missions church in Douglas, Arizona, and in short order accepted to pastor the Apostolic congregation in neighboring Bisbee, AZ, as well. God had them in training, and it served them well when, a short time later, they received their appointment as foreign missionaries, made the long deputation circuit, and boarded a Boeing 707 for Lima, Peru.

When they arrived, they unpacked and dug in; they were home. Here to stay until God said otherwise.  And home it was; my older brother and I were soon joined by two more brothers, both born in Lima.

Sue Nix was the quintessential Missionary Wife and Mom. She was never happier than when she was in Peru. In fact, when circumstances of life led us to find ourselves once again in the US for  several years, she was lost, never quite at ease, never fitting in. What a relief and joy it was when – one day before I left the USA to return as a missionary to Peru – my parents were once again appointed as missionaries to Peru! They had come full circle, and they were ecstatic.


My mother (and father) always taught us that it was a privilege to serve as missionaries; in fact, they made sure we never felt otherwise. They made many sacrifices to ensure we were well cared for and lacking nothing that we needed. The daily family devotions helped us boys develop a relationship with God – and catch the vision of the mission, as well.

One of the things my mother was known to say in every missions service in which she participated was, "Please don't feel sorry for us – it is not a sacrifice to be a missionary; it's the greatest privilege imaginable!"

Mom loved missions so much, she wanted to die on the mission field. She procrastinated on a much-needed surgery that would have made her life much more comfortable, because – as she confided in me – she was afraid something might happen that would incapacitate her and would force them to return to the States. "I would rather die than keep Dad off the mission field," she said firmly. No argument would budge her.

She almost got her wish. She and Dad had just arrived back in the USA for a conference – and a belated and longed-for trip to Israel for their Golden Anniversary – when she was hospitalized with a bad cough and terrible weakness. The leukemia they found took only five weeks to take her life...in the US, not in her beloved Peru.

Faced with her death sentence, Mom was unhappy. Not because she was afraid; she was not – indeed, she shared with me that the realization that she would no longer need to undergo surgery was "exhilarating!" – but she didn't want to die because she "hadn't done anything for God."

Hadn't done anything for God...she only raised her four sons to be preachers of the Gospel. She only served faithfully by her preacher/missionary husband's side for almost 51 years. She only trained and influenced countless preachers'- and pastors' wives, not to mention scores of young people along the way. She only loved the Message of Acts 2:38 and Holiness unto the Lord so passionately that she "infected" countless others with that contagious Love.

She only prayed her son through the darkest hours of his life...over the course of eight years, as the darkness turned to blackness and the blackness to thick, utter, unseeing pain and grief. Her prayers were heard – and not just by God. Heaven was not alone in feeling her intercession...I felt it. I'll never forget it.

"Didn't do anything for God"? God help me do as much...

She left us with a smile and a cheerful "Bye-bye!" When asked where she was going, she grinned and said, "Home!"

She's finally found a better home than the mission field. And though I miss her dearly, I wouldn't bring her back for anything in this world.

Happy Mother's Day, Patricia Sue Nix...my Missionary Mom.  I love your memory. And I love the fact it's not just a memory; it's a hope. I'll see you soon.

Chau...nos vemos pronto.

Three weeks before she left us, our dear friend, Bro. Rob Ford, photographed them...

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful! What a tribute to your wonderful and very special missionary Mother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Almost three years since she said, "Bye-bye!" I have a feeling it won't be long till reunion time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I somehow missed this post and just came across it tonight. Thank you for sharing this. I really wish I would have been able to meet your mom. I have had a couple ladies from Lima express how much they love and miss her. Thank you for sharing.. it touched my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You would have gotten along famously; she was a lot of fun - and no one was spared of her humor. 😄

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Keith. This is Gloria Wiens. My sister, Jolene is visiting me here in Canada. We have been reminiscing about Peru and reading her old diaries from 50 years ago. We did some googling and found your blog. We were the missionary family that met your plane in Lima when your family arrived. We were there from 1964-1969. I am now married to someone I knew in Peru as a child from my school. Jolene has been married for 41 years and has 4 grandchildren, and has worked in her church office for 20 years. God has been good to us. Your were such an inspiration to us. We were so sad to learn of your mother's passing. You may not remember us, but we so remember you. Your dad would remember us and maybe Kevin would. He and I were such good friends and I used to read to Kevin all of the time. I was 10 years old in 1969. Our dad, Dave Wiens, passed away in 2010 at the age of 83. He was an amazing dad to us. Our mother is still living at the age of 91. Your family will always have a special place in our hearts. So glad we found your blog. Please say hello to your dad for us. God bless.
    Jolene and Gloria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not remember? How could I forget?! Gloria and Jolene, I was almost shocked out of my shoes when I found your comment. Wow! A sudden trip in a time machine...

      I have cristal-clear memories of the entire Wiens family. I remember the many lengths you kids all went to to entertain two little, brand-new MKs...I remember you reading to Kevin, Jolene's tiny little candies of some kind (cinnamon? I just know they were delicious), Becky playing with us, Eddie's mask that scared the daylights out of me once. :) I remember both your parents well; I remember the night we rode out through the corn fields toward the airport to say goodbye. I have often wondered about all of you. The last I knew of your parents, they were in the Canaries, I believe? We saw Jolene in Indiana in 1981...then, nothing after that.

      I am indeed sorry to hear of your Dad's passing...and please give my greetings to your mother. Somewhere, packed now after Mom's passing, there are pictures of you all meeting us at the Lima airport in '67.

      Thanks so much for writing! MKs never forget...:) And there is never a better time than now to say a much-needed and belated "Thank You!" to all of you...

      Delete
    2. PS It was just about three days ago that I drove past your old home, still standing, still looking the same...just in case you wondered. :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Keith..
    Wow! That was unexpected and so kind of you. You and Kevin and Kyle, who was born while we were there, were such a huge part of our lives. Your parents were so amazing and talented and wonderful to us. Jolene would write how much she loved " Keithy."
    We spent a lot of time together as families.. I missed all of you so much when we left.
    Your mom used to say to you boys.." You're actin' ugly..Do you want me to get the ugly stick?" That totally made us laugh, since we had never heard that.
    Jolene interpreted for your dad ..and she was so young.. Only 13 and 14.. Until he could preach in Spanish.
    I was so sad to read that you had a daughter that died. We have all been through "life."
    It is sometimes more than we can bear. Thank god for God...
    You drove by our house??? Wow! And it looked the same? I loved that house.
    So you are still in Peru, ministering ? That is amazing.
    If you want to send anymore updates, my email is gloriawiens@gmail.com. Jolene and I would love to hear about your life and family.
    It was amazing to find you on here and to get updated.. Thanks again for your kind reply.
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've sent you some links to our different websites. Enjoy the new and deteriorated us! Age isn't a nice thing... :)

      Delete