May 2, 2015

Kirby, the Worshipping MK

May 2nd, 1999...we met our first very own MK (missionary kid).

You woke us up early and kept us all day long. Finally, a little after 8:00 PM, you made your grand entrance – and "grand" it was, at 9 lbs., 10 ounces!



You were our little preacher boy; you would imitate your daddy anywhere, extemporizing with anything. Toy hammer – toy whatever  – became your microphone, and you would preach away...perfect "preacher" intonations and inflections! It was obvious you were an international speaker, though...we couldn't understand a word you were saying. ;)

You were our little worshipper. How well I remember, as we stood receiving our commissioning as foreign missionaries, I held you in my arms - you worshipped and worshipped, waving your arms, clapping your hands, saying, "Hallelujah, Jesus!" The General Superintendent stopped speaking, said, "What is this little boy's name? He hasn't stopped worshipping the Lord!" He took you in his arms and held you then; after a moment, he smiled and said, "When you have one this good, don't shut down the factory!"

Memories...

Memories of hugs..."Pick me up like a sack of potatoes, Daddy!"...books read...games played. Songs sung: "Daddy and his little men/ are the very best of friends/ we'll be buds through thick and thin...Daddy and his little men..." Whispered "secrets" and uproarious laughter. Bedtime prayer. "Hear O Israel: the LORD our God, the LORD is One!"

But one of my very favorite memories is the Sunday night, at six years of age, when we were worshipping God at New Life Tabernacle in Parker, Arizona. As I led the singing from the keyboard, I saw you begin to yield yourself to God. I couldn't stay behind a keyboard...how I wept as you were gloriously filled with the Holy Ghost! Later that night, I had the awesome privilege of baptizing you in the only saving Name: Jesus Christ – and all your sins were forgiven and washed away (Acts 2:38). You had become more than my child: you were now a Child of the King!

We were too poor at the time to own a proper camera, but I did get a shot with my camera phone of that wonderful moment!

And what a change took place in your life – immediately! Sure, you were still a little boy – growing, changing, learning, making mistakes – but the Holy Ghost was very evident in your life. I remember the time you cried bitterly when we were being seated in a restaurant...because you didn't want to be in the same room with a large-screen television. Not even eight years old...amazing how many adults don't listen to the same voice of God speaking to them.

Today you turn sixteen.

You're a tall, young man now. Your voice has changed. And many more changes are on the way as you transition from little boy to man. Pressures will be exerted, trying to get you to "be like them." Resist them; be like Him. Choices will be offered. Choose wisely, Son...remember that wonderful night when He made you His. You're still His. "Remember thy Creator in the days of thy youth..." (Ecclesiastes 12:1)

Listen for His voice. And talk to Him; He wants to hear from you. It's all about relationship.

I'm trusting you to be the man that was evidenced in the little worshipper. You may never be a preacher or a missionary, though that would thrill me – but it is God who calls, not I. Whatever you are, choose to be godly. Choose to be holy. Choose to please Him. And if you preach...preach the only saving Message! "Hear O Israel: the LORD our God, the LORD is one!"...you must be born of water and of the Spirit...without Holiness, no man shall see the Lord..."Surely I come quickly, and my reward is with me..."

Happy 16th Birthday, Kirby Nathanael Nix...I love you deeply and forever.

Your proud Daddy.






4 comments:

  1. Aye, Brother Nix! I had the privilege of having this young man and Reagan in one of our Jubilee S.S. classes. Pastor was trying to make room for more adults in the sanctuary, so I was asked to teach the Junior Youth. I was running about 50 children, Brother Kirby and Reagan were quiet at first. As I got more into the lesson their hands were going up in the air, they were fascinated with my skeletons. They walked away with lots of candy and some prizes for they knew their bible well. The lesson, Ezekiel prophesying to the dry bones fascinated all the boys including Kirby and Reagan. When Mom came to pick them up they still had them in there hands. Wow, hard to believe he is a young man now 16! Always praying for your Sons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing offensive in the removed comment...administrative bumbling. :)

      Delete